Some of you wonder what exotic fruits there are in Thailand? Below I have a list of ten fruits that you may want to take a look at whenever you get an opportunity to try them out. The fruits are well abundant in the supermarkets/streets and are very fresh so be sure to give them a shot when you can.
- Dragon fruit
- Rose Apple
And that makes up the list of top ten fruits to try out! Be sure to try them out on your next vacation trip!
These are roseapples. Quite delicous if you ask me!
Imagine yourself walking downtown near Seaport Village and bumping into an ice cream stand. For some reason there is no one there but ice cream keeps vanishing. This is the work of a yokai! Yokai watch is an anime about animals and humans that have died and turned into monsters called yokai. Below is a photo of a yokai figurine named Komasan. According to the Yokai wiki (that’s right i used the yokai wiki as reference!) Komasan does indeed love ice cream! Although he looks like a cat, he actually is a Komainu (a lion dog).
Cute little thing huh!
Feeling hungry but don’t want to spend too much money? Well now there is a solution! You can go to an Asian store and buy snacks and deserts like me. I bought some bowl noodles (no msg) and Asian deserts.
But too much of a good thing will cause you to become ill so don’t eat too much!
Snacks and Deserts! The desert is pretty much milk with coconut and jelly in it.
I’m living life on a budget now.
This is what i’ll be eating for this entire week
- Hot Dogs – 2$
- Celery – 1$
- Scallions – 1$
- Bread – 2$
I’m going to try and make some Banh Xeo (Vietnamese Crepe) next week.
It might come out all black but it’s worth a try!
Ingredients needed for Crepe Batter:
- Rice Flour
- White Sugar
- Ground Turmeric
- Coconut Milk
Ingredients to fill up with Crepe:
- Vegetable Oil
- Minced Shallot (Your probably wondering what this is : Small Onions)
- Fresh Shrimp (Peeled)
- Fish Sauce
- Mung Bean sprouts
- Lettuce Leaves
Time to get cooking and hope nothing explodes!
1. Cook the meat and fillings first in a nonstick skillet:
- Cook Garlic and Shallot first for 1-2minutes
- Then add shrimp for 3-4 minutes
- Add fish sauce and remove and save the contents in a bowl
2. Crepe making time:
- Assuming you made your batter already, you are now ready to cook the batter
- Clean your Skillet and adjust to medium heat
- Pour 1/2 cup of batter into the skillet
- Swirl it to cover the bottom completely
- Then throw in your fillings!
- When you are ready, fold your crepe in half and remove it from the skillet.
After you are done cooking the crepe. You can place it inside a 200 degrees F preheated oven to keep warm or just eat as is.
Banh Xeo recipe from allrecipes.com
I’m leveling up my cooking skills this weekend. I made some Canh Chua Cá. It means sour soup with fish.
You will need to go to an Asian store and buy these:
- Sour Soup Pack
- It contains all the veggies you need for your soup
- Tomatoes, Bean sprouts, okra, weird veggies, garlic, chili, and exotic herbs.
- Buy the precut steak looking ones.
- Tamarind or a pineapple
- Pepper, salt, sugar
- A stove, a giant pot, some oil, and cooking utensils
Now that you got all the ingredients you will need to go online and find instructions on how to cook properly (see the video link below). That’s what I did :P.
Below I will sum everything up briefly:
- With your pot add in oil and add in garlic, cook it until brown, then remove them
- Next add in a lot of water then mix with salt and sour ingredients (I used pineapple b/c I did not have tamarind). Bring it to a boil
- Add in the fish, leave for ten minutes and remove the fish to avoid overcooking
- Add in all the veggies except the herbs, bring to boil for few minutes
- Add in the fish again, bring to boil
- Add in the herbs.
- Now you are ready to eat….
In this post I will show you how to open up a coconut using sources that I found online.
I bought a coconut from an Asian store and left it siting in the kitchen for 2 months. It started growing mold so I finally decided to cut it open. The coconut water and the flesh tasted really sour. I ended up throwing them both away in the garden to decompose….
Below I will show you some steps on how to open up a coconut (1):
Step 1: Buy a coconut from a an Asian market.
Step 2: Cleave the top part of the coconut slightly and look for the soft eyes
Step 3: Get a screwdriver or a nail and puncture some holes in it.
Step 4: Now drain the coconut water and drink it or something.
Step 5: Take it to a tropical island that has a tennis court and draw faces on it with your blood. Then name it Wilson or Babolat.
Fun ideas huh!
I found out better ways to cut open up a coconut by using a butter knife or smaller sharp knife (see videos below).
- For this method you will need any kind of knife to expose to upper part of the coconut’s shell.
- Next you will puncture that top part of the coconut shell with a butter knife or any knife. Look for the soft edges and try not to cut yourself.
- If all else fails you can try and break it up with a hammer.
- Be careful, your coconut might have pesticides on it!
- How to open up a coconut in 45 seconds : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7adnlycAbs
- How to open up a coconut with a butter knife :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsP1ZZtuffU
- How to open up a coconut in 30 seconds: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMeYi0IAoH4